Date published

December 20, 2023

We are excited to be presenting this unique bottle of Maker’s Mark for December. The company was started by the Samuels family in 1953 with the quest of creating a bourbon that they enjoyed drinking and would be proud to share with friends. Bill Sr. was an engineer turned craftsman and started the whole project. His wife Margie was the creative mind behind the signature bottle shape, the classic red wax topper, the label, and even the name of Maker’s Mark all thanks to Margie. Bill Jr. continued his father’s vision and brought along new ideas and what makes Maker’s Mark so unique, is finishing the bourbons with different wood stave profiles to add a unique flavour to the brand. 

Along with the unique stave profile, the mash bill used to create the whiskey is what sets them apart. By law, Bourbon has to be made with a minimum of 51% corn grain, and the remaining 49% can be any combination of rye, wheat, or barley. More often than not, the rye is what plays second fiddle to the corn, but Maker’s Mark uses Red Winter Wheat as the second grain of choice. This brings a smooth, balanced, and softer drinking experience with flavours of toffee and vanilla while mellowing the spice that’s often associated with rye.

The Private Selection is Maker’s Mark’s program that allows retailers and restauranteurs to purchase a single barrel and explore their taste visions of what Maker’s Mark has to offer. The Private Selection barrels are a take on the Maker’s Mark 46 process and start with a cask-strength whiskey. Each barrel then gets fitted with 10 wood-finishing staves in the limestone cellar for an extra 9 weeks of maturation. There are over 1,001 different possible combinations that can be achieved. The final bottling strength will then land between 107-114 proof, or 53.5-57% ABV. Calgary Co-op’s has been bottled at 55% ABV.  

Limited quantities were produced, so grab a bottle quickly before it disappears! Cheers. 

Shop Now

Whisky Tip

We have all heard about how a few drops of water into the whisky helps to open up the flavours and aromas, and while that is true, it doesn’t necessarily make it easier to drink a whisky that is sitting at 55% ABV. So, one helpful tip or trick to help get your palate acclimated to something that strong is to take a small initial sip, and hold it in your mouth for 15-30 seconds to allow your palate to become used to the strength of the whisky. You will salivate more since this acts as a natural pain response. After you do this, the following sips become easier to handle.

Whisky Fact

Kentucky is one of the best places on the planet to produce whiskey, and the reason behind this is its unique geological feature. Kentucky sits on top of a massive limestone shelf, and all this limestone helps to filter out impurities in the water, including iron and sulfur, which when distilled both leave very unpleasant flavours in the end product. On the other hand, this increases calcium and magnesium in the water, making both the water better for drinking and for making the sour mash in which yeast can then flourish and grow.

Recommended by Crowfoot Sommelier,
Kevin Schorath

Meet Our Sommeliers